Thursday, December 12, 2013

Film Review - but more so a reflection than a review..


The 1996 blockbuster film, Twister, shows several levels of relevance to my film past the plot line of confronting a tornado.  The fact that it is a special-effects heavy tornado film did jump start me into researching important details about tornados, both in its scientific understanding and in its cinematic representation. Although, Jan de Bont’s film functions not only as a (then) high-level special effects spectacle, but also functions on a few levels that has helped me get a better framing about what I am trying to achieve with my film. 
Tornado depictions in Twister, more specifically the big one at the end, resembled that of an F5 or an EF5 tornado – those of the highest intensity.  That is the tornado I have been planning to portray in my film.  I found it helpful seeing how they decided to portray the tornado compared to the youtube reference footage I’ve been using to animate.  A notable difference was how debris was handled.  What you can’t see in a lot of reference footage is all of the debris that is being tossed around the tornado and the hail that precedes it.  The attention to detail in the debris is evident, especially when characters are up close to the tornado.  These shots are showing what would be impossible to capture in an environment that would easily put lives at risk in order to capture it.  These are important details that help strengthen this film and it is because of this, amongst several more layers, that I was able to relate to my current pursuit.
The film positions itself to revolve around Helen Hunt’s character, Jo Harding, and her ex-husband trying to resolve what tension they have left from their failed marriage.  This brings up a relationship issue that persists through the chase with the tornado.  Interpersonal tension is what I am aiming to create through the relationship between the father and son in my film.  In Twister, the two characters face a series of tornados which seem to reignite the bond they both seemed to let go of.  This is a resolution I am aiming to create in bringing the father and son together at the end.  What lines up more so with my film and Twister is past the obvious confrontation with the tornado which I feel serves as a tool to describe the real matter at hand.  In the later parts of the film I was slowly coming to the realization as to what Helen Hunt’s true purpose in the film was – what she was really after.  As the film progressed, I felt I understood her purpose, but it became completely clear with one of the last few shots.
Jo Harding and her ex-husband face the tornado one last time, waists tied down to a pipe and holding on for their lives. This scene is their last confrontation with a tornado and is the biggest confrontation they’ve had – this time seeing the eye of the tornado.  Immediately after this scene, in which they survive, we cut to a shot of an underground bunker door opening up with a surviving family being revealed.  Coming out first is a father holding his young daughter in his arm.  Jo Harding’s purpose this whole movie has really been about her trying to impossibly fix her past – and this shot is the confirmation needed to show that she just has.  Fixing her traumatic past is the true motivation for chasing tornadoes and also the cause for her failed marriage, which had been exposed earlier in the movie.  With my film I am aiming to create what would seem to be a truer cause for the farmer and his trials – it is his depression and desire to leave forever.  Of course, like Twister, my protagonist’s innermost desire must have its resolution. 

                Functioning as a landmark film in special effects with the subject matter revolving around tornadoes, this film proves its reliability towards understanding the types of film conventions that are in play when portraying a tornado on screen.  Not only on that level but upon focusing on the character, there are several more levels within the story that describe the conflicts that Jo Harding and my farmer face.  A combination of all of these factors makes for a quality comparison for evaluation, especially being in a phase where there are parts of the plot I have yet to decide upon – conflicts to be made evident and worth pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment